Translate

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Writing a Story That Takes Place in Another Culture/Country

I don't often write characters from cultures I'm unfamiliar with - and by that I mean that most of my characters are American. I know American culture well, and I feel I can write from this perspective in an authentic and respectful way. But what to do when you have a really amazing story idea set in another country? How much should you research? How much of your research should you include in the book/story?

There's a contest I'm writing for that has a Soldier's theme, and I want to maybe write about soldiers from another country. I know I'll have to do research on military culture and rules for the country I choose, as well as the national and regional cultures of the country, but I'm wondering how much detail - and which details - will be overwhelming for readers.

Guess I'll have to do some research on that, as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment